A career in logistics that continues to evolve, and in an international atmosphere? Here’s where it all begins. The Caterpillar Logistics Center in Grimbergen is among the best in the world and so are our products.
As an Ocean Transportation Buyer, you will procure transportation services for all ocean transportation modes (RoRo/Breakbulk, Container) and specific project cargo flows for Caterpillar’s material and prime product export and EAME region flows. Scope includes transportation of goods for all Caterpillar dealers and facilities, including subsidiaries, affiliates, and distribution centers. This role you will also work closely with our Strategic Planning & Control (SP&C) division and lead specific global projects.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
• Establish carrier selection criteria that consider economic situation, market trends, carrier capabilities and financial health as well as Caterpillar’s strategic direction and business needs.
• Track market rates continuously and develop a deep understanding of key long-term rate drivers for multiple transportation modes, regionally and internationally.
• Negotiate contracts that outline business requirements, performance standards, rates and service level expectations.
• Track service performance to ensure it meets business needs and that selected Carriers continuously improve their service. Drive root cause and corrective action with Carriers in case of service failures.
• Lead Logistics Procurement management of Transformation Projects to Reduce Logistics Services and Packaging Costs
• Manage department-wide projects and drive execution to accomplish division level goals
• Work with Legal Services to ensure that all necessary, terms, conditions and clauses are included in carrier contracts.
• Ensure that carrier relationships and transactions comply with international legal and customs requirements.
• Strong knowledge of transportation market; cost drivers, trade imbalances, service coverage and capabilities of carriers.
• College or university degree, preferably in logistics
• Six to eight years of progressive job-related experience as a buyer or manager of freight in a pan-European transportation environment.
• Excellent knowledge of purchasing practices and principles, rate structures and market rate trends of freight market
• Understanding of material planning and control, purchasing and inventory control preferably in inbound to manufacturing environment
• Experience leading transformative projects in the Supply Chain and Logistics areas.
• Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills
• Experience with data visualization tools such as PowerBI or Tableau
• Good communication, interpersonal and collaboration skills.