A career in logistics that continues to evolve, and in an international atmosphere? Here’s where it all begins. The Caterpillar Logistics Center in Grimbergen is among the best in the world and so are our products.
This position is in our offices in Brussels, Belgium. The incumbent is accountable to provide a broad array of employment and labor law counsel across the EAME region (including Belgium, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Hungary and Poland) to internal business members, typically Operations Leaders and Mid-Executive Level Managers, Human Resources and Legal Services Professionals. Manage employment disputes from claim through litigation, including the retention and direction of external counsel as necessary. Provide occasional additional commercial legal support to complete and administer supplier agreements, counsel on real estate issues, inter-company agreements and oversee the occasional management of commercial litigation matters in the region.
- Under supervision of the managing attorney located in Illinois, USA; develop successful employment and labor law counseling and dispute resolution strategies and deliver high quality, cost effective management of external counsel.
- Serve as a key team member in our Enterprise Compliance team and support internal legal services processes to track metrics, communicate status of matters and collaborate with various internal stakeholders in our global organization.
- In collaboration with Legal Services and Human Resources colleagues located globally, deliver legal counsel and support of our business operations with assigned matters within the region that will include business restructuring, redundancies and collective layoffs, individual dismissals, litigation, pensions and benefits matters, works council and trade union negotiations.
- Depending on experience and responsibility, be able to assist with providing legal support on request (estimated no more than 20% of the time) on commercial issues and matter resolution to serve Caterpillar operations in a particular locale within region, requiring collaboration with Legal Services personnel in other relevant practice groups directly accountable for litigation and commercial matter management.
- Exercise judgment and discretion in addressing workplace matters that are complex and highly sensitive, consulting in confidence with others in Legal, HR and business unit leadership positions within region and globally within the Caterpillar enterprise.
- Serve as the company representative under adversarial conditions (in country and if required, within region) during administrative, regulatory and government conferences, hearings and fact-finding conferences involving employment and labors matters.
- Select, manage and maintain external counsel relationships to support the resolution of employment and labor matters within a stated budget.
- Achieve resolution of employment disputes by identifying witnesses and documents that will be subject to information holds and document preservation for litigation and dispute resolution.
- Stay informed of and communicate relevant legal developments within the region arising from case law, legislation and regulatory enforcement of employment and labor matters including discrimination, human rights, pay transparency, to interested stakeholders in the enterprise.
- Develop presentations and provide targeted training on relevant legal developments.
- Perform other job duties as assigned by the supervising attorney from time to time.
- Upon gaining additional experience and responsibility, the incumbent may prepare to take on more significant tasks and responsibilities in areas of commercial legal support, contracting and dispute resolution including litigation management.
- The position is required to travel up to 20% of the time.
Masters degree in law is required, with preference given to a specialization in employment law. An LLM from an English or American university is an asset. The incumbent will have no less than 5-7 years employment and labor law practice experience in EAME region, through a large law firm, or combination of firm and private corporate setting. Must be a fluent language speaker in English, Dutch, French, and command of German language is an asset. Must have proficiency in use of Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams and Outlook.
Highly desirable are the following:
- Prior experience at a large international law firm or corporation setting working on employment and labor law matters;
- Demonstrated knowledge of HR practices within EAME region, and application of local, in-country employment laws
- Ability to apply business knowledge to disputed matters;
- Ability to present underlying strategic thinking to attorneys and leaders;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to deal with sensitive issues or influence others inside and outside the department to take specific actions;
- Goal and process-oriented with a demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks;
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment and make decisions.